My Morning Self Care Routine

As we finish up the month of September; the month of Back to School which for me has meant back to work, I am reminded of how important it is to take care of myself after my vacation is over.  One of my lovely friends Dani recently wrote about her self care routine on her blog (http://daniellemccarron.com/my-daily-self-care-routine/), and it inspired me to reflect on my own self care practises. While I am so grateful for the vacation that I had with my current teaching job in Seoul, I also was a bit antsy to get back into the structure of my daily routines. The practices that I do around my own self care play an integral part in my recovery and overall emotional wellbeing. So here are a few of my self care practises!

1. Skin Care


Morning Regime: Cleanser, Toner, Essence, Moisturizer, Eye Cream & Sunscreen


After I wake up, roll out of bed & draw my blinds I head straight to my bathroom to prep my skin for the day. I take full advantage of the K beauty products in Korea, because I am surrounded by millions of Koreans with stunningly flawless skin, so I fully trust that they know what they are doing! Fact: Most Koreans look  8-10 years younger than their physical age. This I attribute to skin care (and probably great genes). I am always experimenting with different products but I do follow a 6 step morning skin care regimen that includes: cleanser, toner, essence, eye cream, moisturizer and sunscreen. I have posted photos of the products that I use below. These products have been recommended to me for my highly sensitive, oily skin. It always feels refreshing to prep my skin at the beginning of the day. 

2. Prayer & Meditation

After catching up on messages and emails, and making myself a glass of water or tea I grab my fluffy throw blanket settle on my sofa for my morning meditation. I do have to admit that this step in my routine does get postponed on busy days where I am rushing out the door. On those days, I do this on my commute to work on the subway. But when I have the time, I really enjoy sitting down and reading a daily reflection on sobriety, saying a few prayers including the Serenity Prayer & the Acceptance Prayer. I then find a guided meditation anywhere from 5-25 minutes and sit in stillness. This practise helps ground me for the day.

3. Journalling




Journalling is something that I have done since I was a teenager. I have always struggled with anxiety and putting pen to paper really helps me digest some of that and get perspective on it. This is also the step that gets overlooked when I am very busy, but it makes an impact on my day when I get to it. Processing my anxieties that have built up, any resentments or fears that I might have and writing down at least 2-3 things that I am grateful for in my life are all gifts of journalling.


4. Spiritual Reading Cards & Tarot


The Enchanted Map Oracle Cards- Card Drawn: Wizard of Awareness (reversed) "Your soul knows best, be still and observe"


At least once a week I like to pull a card for guidance. I tend to do tarot readings for myself when I am in any kind of transition or internal struggle. Otherwise I usually pull a spiritual reading card from the deck (pictured below) after asking my Higher Power for guidance on a relationship, specific issue or just the day ahead. Sometimes my journal is re-opened for further exploration after having received the messages in the card.

5. Reading


Current Reads: Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson, Journey Back to You: A guide to meeting your authentic self by Danielle McCarron, Run, Hide, Repeat: A Memoir of a Fugitive Childhood by Pauline Dakin & Chasing the Scream: The Opposite of Addiction is Connection by Johann Hari


As a child I hated reading and could not see the point of it at all. I wanted to be playing with my friends at all times, and saw no benefits to sitting still and reading a book for fun. My perspective on this has totally shifted in my adult years. I love to read, and although, I'll admit that it is something that gets opted out of sometimes for an Instagram story stroll or a Youtube video viewing, when I do take the time to read a few chapters out of my current book, I never regret my decision.

6. Breakfast

I love food A LOT. So this aspect to my routine is not difficult to attend to at all. Although I do sometimes become rushed in the mornings I always try my best to eat a small breakfast before I head out the door. Some of my favourite go-to's are:
  • Toast, jam and cheese
  • Toast, peanut butter & berries
  • Rice crackers, hummus & dried cherries
  • Cereal & coconut milk
  • Seaweed & fava bean crackers
  • 2 boiled eggs

Current Favourites: Sweet & Savory Seaweed Fava Chips, Pomegranate & Vanilla flavoured Cashews, & dried cherries

When I am able to mindfully practise all of these steps in my morning, I have set myself up for a wonderful day. I have come to appreciate my mornings with God in sobriety on a whole other level. I truly believe that making time for these practices is such an important way for me to start my day off on a great note! I hope that, this article offers some ideas to you for new ways to take care of yourself! 

Love,

Jess 
xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts